Monday, May 1, 2023

HudsON Valley Tango Festival in Kingston, NY organized by Maia Martinez and David Salvatierra

 April 28-30, 2023

HudsON Valley Tango Festival in Kingston, NY

 

This was my 3rd or 4th time to this festival.  I really enjoy it because a lot of folks come in from the neighboring states (NY, CT, MA, NJ, RI, etc.), so it feels more regional than festivals located in airline hub cities and it’s nice seeing many familiar faces and new ones alike.

 

I didn’t take notes for the lessons, which is a shame and something that Hugo Patyn, one of the maestros, commented on!  Shame on me! Totally my bad!  I really didn’t have any excuse.  I just didn’t feel like taking notes.  As the years go on, my eyesight is not as good as it once was, and neither is my note taking.  There have been times when I was transcribing my notes, and I could not decipher the discombobulated mess that I wrote, which didn’t happen before.  Still, I know I have to get back into the grove of things for the Intensivo in May.

 

The lessons were excellent.  Maestros where Hugo Patyn and Celina Rotundo from Dallas (and organizers of the awesome Holiday Tango Week festival that happens between Thanksgiving and Christmas), and Fernanda Ghi and Eduardo Villalba.

 

Milongas were wonderful.  The music was amazing, with live bands and singers as well as the usual recorded music.  Cortinas were obvious, and the DJs were gracious enough to indulge the dancers who wanted to partake in Salsa or Swing.  Food was ample and delicious.

 

Parking was super easy at the public lot down the street or the mall just a little further down.

 

I stayed at an Airbnb just a little more than a mile away, and every year there seems to be more Airbnb lodging options.  There are also the festival hotels, but I have never booked any of them.

 

I had the best ever time yet and will definitely be back next year!

 

 

No comments: